Pages

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Random Homeschooling Thoughts

   I've have been searching for grade K curriculum and man, it is a overwhelming and drawn out task! There are companies from everywhere trying to sell you their curriculum. They seem to always say pretty much the same thing...state of the art, best curriculum available, get more for your buck. I have been scouring the internet for months now trying to find cheap/free sources. Reading reviews on workbooks and games and crafts that would be good to incorporate. I am being honest with myself when I say I don't really know what direction I am going yet. I have some things planned, but not many.
   I settled on Saxon for math. 1st grade for Z. I will do the work books and I plan on ordering the manipulative items that go along with it. My heavy suggestion for anyone homeschooling more than one child is make copies. I do not plan on buying books more than once, we simply cannot afford it. I chose Saxon because we did use it this year for 8th grade and it is VERY easy to understand. The books do a wonderful job laying out directions and examples. The worksheet workbook is also easy to understand, everything is numbered and laid out for you. I am expecting the same from the 1st grade series. I will post it when I have it in hands. I am also going to just do some play games with math. Hands on, learning, grocery store games. I have some neat ideas in mind that I think Z will enjoy.
   I've also settled on our portfolio style. I think I have mentioned before that having an elaborate portfolio in Kindergarten isn't exactly necessary but it is a good trial year if you want/plan on doing the same thing throughout the years. After Z, we have two other children who will be homeschooled and I would love for uniform portfolios, why?...because I can and I like things to be the same like that haha. I feel like having a process will make life easier actually. This year I plan on doing a scrapbook style portfolio. Each week will have its own cover page made from simple cheap cardstock - the week will have the date, amount of time spent on computer learning (we love ABC mouse and Moby Max), and a small snippet of what we did this week. In a future I will post what I have for the first month of kindergarten portfolio planning so far. This portfolio plan is very hands on. I want to capture the artwork and flare of Z's personality into each year of education. I want to incorporate cutting and gluing skills, writing, reading, pictures, stickers and more. At the end of our 36 weeks we will have a beautiful compilation of skills mastered, adventures we've went on, fun days in school and growth. In my mind he is going to love it! That is what this trial year is for!
   Those are the only two things I have settled on so far. I know I have two months to go but really, we will be having baby L at the beginning to middle of September and I feel the need to plan and be ahead of the game so I am working hard to get things done. I will be creating a ton of worksheets and gathering/creating info for how to successfully complete an entire days school ...autism included. Anyone who has a child with autism knows our days are not typical. A lot of traveling and appointments, a lot of homeschooling on the go, or days pushed out because bad days happen. Some weeks are worse than others. My lesson plan is based on weeks/days rather than dates. I know that my M-F plan sometimes needs to be thrown out the window and it will need to be M, T, TH, S, S...which, we are homeschoolers! It is OKAY! Whatever they need, right? Child driven learning is what is best at this age. Power struggles do not work for autism.

No comments:

Post a Comment