Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Turning Autistic?

   This may not make any sense to someone who isn't impacted by Autism. But, today as I picked up a small blue hot-wheel and vacuumed the floor I realized that I was doing things in my daily routine that might make others wonder if I was Autistic or something similar. What's more, some day's I wonder if I am going Autistic because I find myself doing these things when my kids aren't around, just out of habit. I know someone cannot "turn Autistic" but, if you have a child, or in my case two children, with Autism..you'll relate to my post.
   On a typical day my 20 month old will hand me a car over 100 times, as well as anyone else who walks into the room. He will tell me that car is a car probably 200 times before the day is over. He wants his daddy, brothers, friends and myself to always know that when we come home, there will be a pretty "carrrrrrr" there waiting for us. Before we do anything we have to make sure we are not going to step, sit or lay on cars. Today while vacuuming I had to laugh, I would not have been vacuuming while making sure I held onto a car if not for Autism.
   This has changed my life. It's funny how we Autistic parent's do things knowing that it will prevent a meltdown, or we say things differently knowing it will make a transition easier. I know that if I tell my Z to get away or out of something he won't but then I know if I say "wow, look at this car" he will come running. Some say we use his obsession against him, I say we use it to our and his advantage.
   Some days I wonder if I am becoming just as nervous about not doing something as my kids are. If I am not carrying a car while walking the baby to bed, I know the process will take longer. I know that not bringing a game to a long appointment for my older son, there will be a lot of frustration. These obsessions of theirs [there are many more than listed] have become "obsessions" of mine. I am afraid to forget these little things knowing that a melt down will happen. And because they are both so different, the stress level just elevates. I love them though, and I will carry cars, and books, and iPads with Wreck it Ralph to anywhere I go because I guess the way I see it is...if I am turning Autistic, which I am not, but if I were...then they would be giving back to me the gift that I gave them. 

    I haven't really blogged much since our youngest was diagnosed with Autism. I guess I've been a combination of in shock, busy and upset that he was diagnosed but here I am. I want to share with others the funny in being an "Autism Mom". I want to share the heart ache and give hope to others. I also want to blog about how my new found 'obsession' with essential oils has changed my life [and can change yours too!]. I love blogging about recipes and goodies so I think I will do that occasionally as well, but for now - Autism is my life.


Vacuuming with my very cool car

<3
Live with Joy,
Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment