Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

On Being a Businesswoman

     I want to be a businesswoman. I am, to a degree, but I just cannot wait to branch out and be who I know I was meant to be in the business world. I want to make a difference. The sad thing is, once I become a businesswoman...the plan of the business world will be that I lose all sense of self and become a businesswoman. This is part of the deal that I am not thrilled with. There is a certain etiquette that businessmen and woman have to follow and I am not excited about changing my entire life around to accommodate it.  It's a process to become "thee businesswoman". One of my biggest problems is only posting about good, happy thoughts anywhere online where it can be archived. I am a woman, I have my moments. But these things never go away and for that..I may already be screwed. But, those moody moments make my better moments better. My moments of self doubt sometimes help my moments of success even better. When I cry and hurt it makes my laughter and smiles that much better. It's just who I am.

     If all goes right to the business world I will have to lose my beloved nose ring, and I cannot get anymore piercings. Being in the businessperson you have to look very nice, no visible tattoos, piercings beyond the ears viable, and a clean and very professional appearance at all times. This is fine and dandy but I love tattoos, and I love my little nose ring. They show who I really am, my personality. I think this is my biggest problem with the process of changing into the businesswoman. The path that got me to success, will not keep me successful. Let me explain...

      I am only successful now because I work hard and I am myself, an individual person who has grown into this successful person with the help of three young men and my knight, J.. I like to think of myself as intelligent, unique and compassionate about business and individuality. Once I make it to the top (and I will, no doubts) I will have to set aside everything that got me there in the first place. How do we expect to be all that we can be when what gets up somewhere is not looked upon as the proper way to do things? Imagine if all the unique and outgoing businessmen and woman were allowed to act the way they acted before they were successful...the economy would be a great place, full of ideas and unique approaches. I know the first day I have to wear a business suit I am going to have problems refraining from wearing two different colored socks and a sportbra. It's just not acceptable, but why? Honestly, I am honestly asking why - why can we not let individuals stay individuals? Isn't that what makes the world so great? All these ideas from people in different walks of life, and different perspectives. We lose this when we become "a business professional". For myself, I aim to change this.

       J and I want to open our own business someday. Of course this business will include the typical financial records, accounting and operations work...everything that needs to be done will be done. But I have a question...what's wrong with a prettier paper for our financial records? I will sign my name with butterflies doodled around it, and smiley faces where there are positive numbers. Why not? It's cute and it shows who I am...of course, if J prepared paperwork it wouldn't look like that haha! But, that's because that's not who he is.

     Individuality is frowned upon once you get to that level and I think that is really disheartening. Mainly because individuality is what got you to that level in the first place, and once you get there they want you to throw it all away. What gives...ha! So, whats the big idea? I want to change at least a small pore in the face of the business world. I want to walk into a company and be successful within that company because of me, not because I am a business woman. I want to show my skills, show my personality and say "I will land this deal - not because I have a Masters Degree in business but because I am me, and I rock!". When you can relate to the customer on a personal level, and not on the business level..that is where the magic happens. You learn to care about who they are, and they care about who you are. Not your status, or your degree or even your background but who you are now, today, and who you plan on being in the future. Despite tattoos, piercings, weird hair colors or styles. Despite not wanting any kids to having ten kids. To being married to a man or a woman, or the same sex. It should not matter because it's who you are and who you are is how you got to be successful in the first place.

     Refuse to conform, be yourself. Refuse to change for a job, if the job is worth it, it will accept you for who you are. You and I should be recognized for who we are as we traveled upwards to being successful, not who we can change to be after we are successful. Make sense?

   Just some random sad and happy thoughts on being a business woman...I want to be a business woman but I wonder the cost to myself and my family, Ya know?

With unique love,
Bea


If you like my blog, please please please like this post and share it with your friends and family. My success relies on people actually helping get my blog out there....and I really want my wonderful clustered and not organized because I haven't figured out how to yet blog to be successful. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment